This week’s SNO sees us ditch our jets and jump into our light aircraft, light twin, helicopter, whatever and head over the amazing Hauraki Gulf to one Auckland’s best keep secrets, Great Barrier Island.
This annual Great Barrier Island event is open to mountain bikers, runners and walkers. Full and Half Marathon plus Duathlon. Half track, half road.
The marathon begins at Port Fitzroy Wharf in the north of Great Barrier Island and ends at Tryphena Wharf in the south. The first half of the marathon begins along the road with scenic views of Port Abercrombie before reaching the Kaiaraara stream. From the stream the course continues on tracks up and down through regenerating native bush which is home to some of NZ’s native species such as the chevron skink and kaka, kereru, tui, grey warbler and fantails. This is the most challenging and rewarding section of the marathon reaching an elevation of 180metres with spectacular views and requiring some technical skills for the bikers and offering spectacular views. The course then winds around the bottom of Te Ahumata (White Cliffs), the site of silver mining on the island, and comes out on Blind Bay Road, Okupu. From here the second half of the course is on the road with views of white sandy beaches, green farmland and small settlements. There is a couple of reasonable climbs along the way and a bigger climb just before the finish.
Full details can be found at the 100% Pure New Zealand Website.
Remember to book your intention to fly or provide ATC in Vroute so that your booking appears on the VATNZ Homepage.
NZAR Ardmore, New Zealand
- Arrival/Departure (1) & (2)
- Arrival/Departure (3) & (4)
- Arrival/Departure (5)
- RWY 03 Preferred VFR Arrival/Departure Routes (1) & (2)
- RWY 21 Preferred VFR Arrival/Departure Routes (1) & (2)
- Helicopter Arrival/Departure Sectors, RWY 03 Helicopter Preferred VFR ARR/DEP — South
- RWY 21 Helicopter Preferred VFR ARR/DEP — South, Helicopter Arrival/Departure (1)
- Helicopter Arrival/Departure (2), Helicopter — Tower TLOF Training Circuit
- Arrival/Departure (1) & (2) — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (3) & (4) — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (5) & (6) — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (7) — All RWY, Nosie Abatement — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (8) & (9) — RWY 05R/23L
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (5) & 23L (6)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (6) & 23L (7)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (7) & 23L (8)
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (9)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R & 23L (1)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (2) & 23L (2)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (3) & 23L (3)
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (4)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (4) & 23L (5)
- Visual RNAV Arrival RWY 05R & 23L
- VFR Arrival/Departure Procedures — All RWY, VFR Arrival Procedures — All RWY
- Aerodrome — RWY 05R/23L Operations (1) & (2)
- Ground Movements — RWY 05R/23L Operations
- Ground Movements (7) — Low Visibility Taxi Routes
- Ground Movements (8) — RWY 23L Arrivals, Ground Movements (9) — RWY 23L Departures
- Ground Movements (10) & (11) — Code F ACFT
- Code F ACFT Taxi Routes — RWY 05R/23L — Arrival & Departure
- International Apron — RWY 05R/23L, Domestic Apron — RWY 05R/23L
- Ground Movements (1) & (2) — All RWY
- Ground Movements (3) & (4) — All RWY
- Ground Movements (5) & (6) — All RWY
Standard Route Clearances