This week we take another trip outside of our domestic network and head up to Rarotonga in the Cook Islands (NCRG).
Rarotonga is the most populous island of the Cook Islands, with a population of 13,095 (census 2011), out of the country's total population of 17,794.
The Cook Islands' Parliament buildings and international airport are on Rarotonga. Because it is the most populous island, Cook Islanders may often be referred to as Rarotongan, but they may come from one of the other 14 islands in the group, such as Aitutaki or Mangaia. Rarotonga is a very popular tourist destination with many resorts, hotels and motels. The chief town, Avarua, on the north coast, is the capital of the Cook Islands.
The island of Rarotonga stands over 14,750 feet (4,500 meters) above the ocean floor. It is 32 km (20 miles) in circumference and has an area of 67.19 km² (26 square miles). At a depth of 4,000 m (13,000 ft) the volcano is nearly 31 miles (50 km) in diameter. Te Manga, at 658 m (2,140 ft) above sea level, is the highest peak on the island.
The island is surrounded by a lagoon, which often extends more than a hundred metres to the reef, then slopes steeply to deep water. The reef fronts the shore to the north of the island, making the lagoon there unsuitable for swimming and water sports, but to the south east, particularly around Muri, the lagoon is at its widest and deepest. This part of the island is the most popular with tourists for swimming, snorkelling and boating. Agricultural terraces, flats and swamps surround the central mountain area.
The route between Auckland and Rarotonga is served by Air New Zealand in A320, B777 and B767-300ER aircraft and by Virgin Australia in B737-800 aircraft.
Typical flight time between the two ports is about 3hr 45min so pick your direction of travel and fly away!
Auckland (NZAA) to Rarotonga (NCRG)
AA G594 RG (Odd Altitudes)
Rarotonga (NCRG) to Auckland (NZAA)
RG G594 AA (Even Altitudes)
- Arrival/Departure (1) & (2) — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (3) & (4) — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (5) & (6) — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (7) — All RWY, Nosie Abatement — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (8) & (9) — RWY 05R/23L
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (5) & 23L (6)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (6) & 23L (7)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (7) & 23L (8)
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (9)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R & 23L (1)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (2) & 23L (2)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (3) & 23L (3)
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (4)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (4) & 23L (5)
- Visual RNAV Arrival RWY 05R & 23L
- VFR Arrival/Departure Procedures — All RWY, VFR Arrival Procedures — All RWY
- Aerodrome — RWY 05R/23L Operations (1) & (2)
- Ground Movements — RWY 05R/23L Operations
- Ground Movements (7) — Low Visibility Taxi Routes
- Ground Movements (8) — RWY 23L Arrivals, Ground Movements (9) — RWY 23L Departures
- Ground Movements (10) & (11) — Code F ACFT
- Code F ACFT Taxi Routes — RWY 05R/23L — Arrival & Departure
- International Apron — RWY 05R/23L, Domestic Apron — RWY 05R/23L
- Ground Movements (1) & (2) — All RWY
- Ground Movements (3) & (4) — All RWY
- Ground Movements (5) & (6) — All RWY
Standard Route Clearances