This week we head off the mainline routes and join the start of the Mcmurdo season. Every year, the United States Navy conducts their antarctic operations - nicknamed Operation Deep Freeze. This season sees many military transport aircraft flying into Christchurch (NZCH) to ferry people and supplies to McMurdo's Williams Field (NZWD).
Flights generally take from 4 hours in a C-17 Globemaster to 7 hours in a C-130 Hercules. Because of this, the event start time has been pushed forward to 4pm to allow C-130 aircraft to make the entire journey during the event time. If you are unable to make it at that time, consider taking a faster aircraft and leaving later - a 6pm departure in a C-17 would allow for the flight to be completed during the event time and a 1hr reserve for any delays due to traffic.
Your are invited to take any aircraft you wish. If you are after realism, then a C-17 or a C-130 aircraft are the most common on the route.
Any ATC that are available from 4pm, please book your position on Vroute to register your interest and to show the pilots that there will be ATC available.
Disclaimer - Ok I know the season has finished!
Christchurch (NZCH) to Williams Field (NZWD)
CH A338 NOBEY
Williams Field (NZWD) to Christchurch(NZCH)
NOBEY A338 CH
To have your flight booking appear on the VATNZ Homepage to let others know you plan to fly, remember to book your flight in Vroute.
Events Mailing List
This mailing list is used to announce upcoming online events in the VATNZ calendar. Receive reminder emails before each event detailing what's happening and where.
Subscribe to this list at:vatnz-events
When clicking on an AIP link for the first time, you may come to the AIP NZ web page which requires you to click on "I agree". After doing this it is best to use the back arrow on your browser until you are back here again, or close the TAB that was opened. Then click on the link again and you will go straight to the PDF.
NZCH Christchurch, New Zealand
- Arrival/Departure (1) & (2)
- Arrival/Departure (3) & (4) — RWY 02/20
- Arrival/Departure (5) — RWY 02/20
- RNAV STAR RWY 20 (3) & (4)
- RNAV STAR RWY 20 (5) & (6)
- RNAV STAR RWY 20 (7) & (8)
- RNAV STAR RWY 11
- RNAV STAR RWY 29 (1) & (2)
- RNAV STAR RWY 02 (1) & (2)
- RNAV STAR RWY 29 (3) & (4)
- RNAV STAR RWY 29 (5) & (6)
- RNAV STAR RWY 29 (7) & (8)
- RNAV STAR RWY 29 (9) & (10)
- RNAV STAR RWY 02 (3) & (4)
- RNAV STAR RWY 02 (5) & (6)
- RNAV STAR RWY 02 (7) & (8)
- RNAV STAR RWY 20 (1) & (2)
- Visual Arrivals RWY 02 & RWY 20
- Visual Arrivals RWY 29
- VFR Arrival Procedures RWY 02/20 (1) & (2)
- VFR Arrival Procedures RWY 29 (1) & (2)
Standard Route Clearances
- Aerodrome (1) & (2) — RWY 02 — WIP North
- Operational Data — RWY 02 — WIP North, Ground Movements — RWY 02 — WIP North
- ILS/DME N or LOC/DME N RWY 02, VOR/DME N RWY 02
- LOC/DME S RWY 02, ILS/DME S or LOC/DME S RWY 20
- VOR/DME S RWY 02 & RWY 20
- RNAV (GNSS) S RWY 20
- Aerodrome (1) & (2) — RWY 02/20 — WIP South
- Operational Data — RWY 02/20 — WIP South, Ground Movements — RWY 02/20 — WIP South
- RNAV (GNSS) N RWY 02
NZWD Williams Field, Antarctica
|NZWD_TWR||Williams Field Tower||126.200|