After a long scenic journey two weeks ago crossing the Cook Strait it's time to see the side of Wellington you don't normally see on your ILS approaches. This flight will be just over an hour long. We will leave Paraparaumu heading off to the Kapiti Island and then tracking inland to Masterton via numerous rivers, roads and valleys and the occasional coastline and lake. This week I’ve thrown it purposefully all in there for you.
So bring along your Cessnas, Pipers or Helicopters, for pure enjoyment of this flight.
- Depart Paraparaumu (NZPP) and head west for a quick flight around Kapiti Island.
- Then head inland at the mouth of the Waikanae River follow this river inland till you get to the Akatarawa road this should take you past Cloustonville and onto the Akatarawa river follow this down till it forks with the Hutt River
- Then follow the Hutt River south, when closing in on Wellington harbour turn left and follow the Wainuiomata Valley through to Cook Strait (Alternatively, if no ATC is on for Wellington (NZWN) you have the option of a touch and go at Wellington and you can meet up with the group when it enters Cook Strait)
- Then follow the coastline east to Lake Onoke and follow this inland. Fly overhead Lake Wairarapa, then continue flying north to Featherston, Follow State Highway 53 across the valley to the Ruamahanga River
- Then follow this river north to as it twists and turns for a full stop landing at Masterton (NZMS)
However if you feel like you cannot follow specific landmarks to each waypoint you may track direct to each airport.
Maps showing flight path
- Meet in the VATNZ Flight Club TeamSpeak room.
- server = vatnz.teamspeak3.com
- nickname = first name space last name space vatsim id
- password = Temporary TeamSpeak password for event will be the event departure airport name in lower case.
Event designed by
- David Hansen
To have your flight booking appear on the VATNZ Homepage to let others know you plan to fly, remember to book your flight in Vroute.
Events Mailing List
This mailing list is used to announce upcoming online events in the VATNZ calendar. Receive reminder emails before each event detailing what's happening and where.
Subscribe to this list at:vatnz-events
Standard Route Clearances