This week we depart central New Zealand town Waiouru and head off for beautiful coastal Taranaki city New Plymouth via Tamarunui and Stratford.
We will be flying through various local Taranaki landmarks and locations that you may recognise such as the magnificent Mt Egmont, Forgotten Highway and the Waiwhakaiho River.
The route is approximately 127nm and can be flown in around 1 hour and 25 minutes by a Cessna 182.
1.5 - 2hrs
- Leave Waiouru (NZRU) and track direct to and follow SH4 to the town of Taumarunui
- Once at Taumarunui follow the Forgotten Highway to Stratford, find Stratford Airfield (NZSD), perform t&g
- From Stratford track to the west for Mt Egmont/Taranaki (you will need to climb a little higher while entering G370)
- Continue tracking towards the west, once at Brames Falls fly towards the Pouakai range
- From Pouakai come around to North Egmont. From North Egmont follow Egmont Rd to Egmont Village
- Follow SH3 from Egmont village to Lake Mangamahoe
- To the north-east follow the Waiwhakaiho River to the coast passing Lake Rotomanu and the Fitzroy Golf Course.
- From the coast you should have the airport in sight. Join the circuit to complete the flight and land at New Plymouth (NZNP)
If you feel like you cannot follow specific landmarks to each waypoint you may track direct between each airport however most pilots follow the leader.
Maps showing flight path
- Click here
- Meet in the VATNZ Flight Club TeamSpeak room.
- server = vatnz.teamspeak3.com
- nickname = first name space last name space vatsim id
- password = Temporary TeamSpeak password for event will be the event departure airport name in lower case.
Event designed by
- Wesley St George
To have your flight booking appear on the VATNZ Homepage to let others know you plan to fly, remember to book your flight in Vroute.
Events Mailing List
This mailing list is used to announce upcoming online events in the VATNZ calendar. Receive reminder emails before each event detailing what's happening and where.
Subscribe to this list at:vatnz-events
Standard Route Clearances