A strong rivalry exists between New Zealand and Australia, whether it be pavlova, rugby, sheep jokes or any sporting event in which both countries are competing.
Australia and New Zealand have the same type of rivalry as you find between siblings. We have an extremely close relationship, but it's always nice to have a win on some point or other. We're particularly rivals in the sporting field, but if anyone from outside criticises or attacks either country, they have both of us to contend with.
This trans-Tasman rivalry will not be stronger than when our two countries meet in London next week for the start of the London 2012 Olympics.
This week's SNO (Sunday Night Operations) sees us go head-to-head in NZ versus Oz as we cross the "ditch" (the Tasman Sea) between the two largest cities in our respective countries, Auckland and Sydney.
Flying to London in four hours is a little unrealistic, so the challenge this week is to see whether more ZK (New Zealand) or VH (Australia) registered aircraft fly across the Tasman and how many legs that they complete. Will it be ZK or VH, and what will YOU fly?? Make sure you put your Aircraft Registration in your Flightplan Comments
Auckland to Sydney
- AA N774 SY
Sydney to Auckland
- SY L521 AA
Visit the Interactive Webpage for route information.
Total flight time one-way should be somewhere in the region of 3 - 3.5 hours depending on your aircraft type, and prevailing winds.
For correct position reporting in Oceanic Airspace, pilots are encouraged to read the VATNZ Oceanic Control Procedures information page.
Aircraft flying above FL245 MUST be SELCAL equipped. All non-SELCAL equipped aircraft must operate below FL245.
For information on SELCAL visit VATNZ Selcal Information Page
CHARTS and SCENERYAll Charts and Scenery links can be found at the airport reference files at the Event Webpage.
NZAA Auckland, New Zealand
- Arrival/Departure (1) & (2) — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (3) & (4) — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (5) & (6) — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (7) — All RWY, Nosie Abatement — All RWY
- Arrival/Departure (8) & (9) — RWY 05R/23L
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (3) & (4)
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (5) & (6)
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (7) & (8)
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (9) & (10)
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (11)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (1) & (2)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (3) & (4)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (5) & (6)
- RNAV STAR RWY 05R (7) & (8)
- RNAV STAR RWY 23L (1) & (2)
- Visual RNAV Arrival RWY 05R & 23L
- VFR Arrival/Departure Procedures — All RWY, VFR Arrival Procedures — All RWY
- Aerodrome — RWY 05R/23L Operations (1) & (2)
- Ground Movements — RWY 05R/23L Operations
- Ground Movements (7) — Low Visibility Taxi Routes
- Ground Movements (8) — RWY 23L Arrivals, Ground Movements (9) — RWY 23L Departures
- Ground Movements (10) & (11) — Code F ACFT
- Code F ACFT Taxi Routes — RWY 05R/23L — Arrival & Departure
- International Apron — RWY 05R/23L, Domestic Apron — RWY 05R/23L
- Ground Movements (1) & (2) — All RWY
- Ground Movements (3) & (4) — All RWY
- Ground Movements (5) & (6) — All RWY
Standard Route Clearances
- Aerodrome — RWY 05R/23L — WIP West, Operational Data — RWY 05R/23L — WIP West
- Ground Movements — RWY 05R/23L — WIP West
- ILS/DME W or LOC/DME W RWY 23L, LOC/DME W RWY 05R
- ILS/DME E or LOC/DME E RWY 05R, LOC/DME E RWY 23L
- VOR/DME E RWY 05R & 23L
- RNAV (GNSS) E RWY 05R
- Aerodrome — RWY 05R/23L — WIP East, Operational Data — RWY 05R/23L — WIP East
- Ground Movements — RWY 05R/23L — WIP East
- VOR/DME W RWY 05R & 23L
- RNAV (GNSS) W RWY 23L
NZCG Centennial Park, New Zealand