Tonight we will practice RNAV approaches, the RNAV approach is becoming the most common approach and is available at most New Zealand airports. So tonight fly between Wellington (NZWN) and Queenstown (NZQN) airports in either direction and expect an RNAV approach at both ends.
These airports can both be very challenging to land at. Wellington for its wind & short runway. (1815m)
Queenstown for its approach over the Southern Alps and even shorter runway. (1777m)
Note to pilots landing at Queenstown
- eg If assigned the RNAV (GNSS) G approach and you want to do the RNAV (RNP) Y approach, just advise the controller.
- Be familiar with your escape route ie missed approach procedure.
- Make sure you fully understand the approach ie waypoints, heights, speeds, circling if applicable, holding pattern.
- Do not fly a plane larger than an A320.
- Practice the approach when nobody is about.
Note to pilots - Departures
- If you don't have the SID on your FMC please tell the controller.
- If you are not RNAV capable please advise the controller.
- The controller will assign you a suitable departure.
NZQN Queenstown, New Zealand
- Arrival/Departure (1) & (2)
- RNAV (GNSS) STAR RWY 05 (1) & (2)
- RNAV (GNSS) STAR RWY 05 (3) & RWY 23 (1)
- RNAV (GNSS) STAR RWY 23 (2) & (3)
- VFR Arrival Procedures (1) & (2)
- VFR Arrivals, Helicopter VFR Arrival/Departure Procedures (1)
- Helicopter VFR Arrival/Departure Procedures (2) & (3)
- Helicopter VFR Arrival/Departure Procedures (4)
- RNAV (GNSS) SID RWY 05 (5)
- RNAV (GNSS) SID RWY 23 (1) & (2)
- RNAV (GNSS) SID RWY 23 (3) & (4)
- RNAV (GNSS) SID RWY 23 (5) & (6)
- RNAV (GNSS) SID RWY 23 (7)
- RNAV (RNP) REDOL ONE ALFA DEPARTURE RWY 23
- Bridge Seven Departure, Frankton Six Departure
- RNAV (RNP) ANPOV THREE ALFA Departure RWY 05, RNAV (RNP) ANPOV THREE BRAVO Departure RWY 23
- RNAV (RNP) IPNOR THREE ALFA Departure RWY 05, RNAV (RNP) IPNOR THREE BRAVO Departure RWY 23
- RNAV (GNSS) SID RWY 05 (1) & (2)
- RNAV (GNSS) SID RWY 05 (3) & (4)
- VFR Departure Procedures (1) & (2)
- VFR Departures
Standard Route Clearances
NZWN Wellington, New Zealand
Standard Route Clearances
Flight and ATC Bookings
We encourage pilots and controllers alike to book your intention to fly or provide ATC using vroute.
These bookings display on the VATNZ website and allow others to know when and where to expect pilots and controllers to be online.
VATNZ Events Mailing List
To keep up to date with all the events taking place in the VATNZ division, subscribe to the VATNZ Events Mailing List. Receive reminder emails before each event detailing what's happening and where.